Most people are familiar with the tales of how tricky car salesmen can be when selling the vehicles in their showroom and on the lot. Many of these sales techniques are quite common, but should not scare you off. The fact that you know about these tactics gives you a chance to work around them. Lafayette Subaru car dealers are smart, but not invincible. With a few tricks, anyone can outwit even the top salesmen.
The easiest way to beat just about any car salesman is not to play their game. This includes:
1. Be prepared – Learn as much as you can about the vehicle you want to buy, whether it is a Forester, Impreza, Legacy, Outback or Tribeca. Study the technical details as well as all the additional options available in new and old models. Know the color availability, delivery times and selling price. When buying second-hand check the Blue Book value of the models you are interested in.
2. Verify your credit score – Be aware of your credit score when visiting a Lafayette Subaru dealership. Also determine how much money you can comfortably borrow to pay off a vehicle. Take a look at the current interest rates. Sometimes it pays off to request a personal loan from the bank; other times a Lafayette Subaru dealership can make you a better offer. This information is crucial so you will not be suckered into a deal you cannot afford.
3. Be bold – Do not hesitate to walk out when you feel that the salesman is trying to manipulate your decision. As a customer, you have the right to leave whenever you feel that nobody is listening to your remarks or requests. This includes the offer that a dealership makes for trade-in vehicles. Nobody has the right to rip you off.
4. Always negotiate – No matter what the salesman says; there is always room for a better deal. Even if you only get a few free oil changes out of the deal, that is better than simply accepting the first offer that was made. Again, you have no obligations to a Lafayette Subaru salesman, so walk out if you do not like the proposal. You will be surprised how quickly tunes change when you are heading towards the exit doors.
5. Insist on a test drive with you behind the wheel – The only one who can determine if a car is for right for you… is you! If a salesman insists on coming along, he can sit in the passenger seat or in the back.